Ads 468x60px

Monday, November 12, 2012

Kick Start to a Healthy Lifestyle


Hi everyone!

I apologize for not posting for so long. Between not having power for a while because of hurricane Sandy, and then being away, I feel like it's been FOREVER.

I also feel like a complete fat ass to be honest lol. So feeling like a fat ass has inspired me to write this post. For the past two weeks I have been eating whatever I want, whenever I want. EW! So not like me.

This started with an amazing wedding with a ton of great food that I over indulged in, followed by the power being out, ending with an incredible vacation. Trying to eat healthy with no power was near impossible, and who even focuses on eating healthy during a vacation? NOT ME! Vacation is the one time I allow myself to not care.

At this point I am totally disgusted with how my body feels, its been a two week free for all for me, and I am pretty much repulsed.

Now that I am getting back to my healthy eating schedule, I figured I'd share it with you so we can do it together.

Preparing your mind & body

Step 1- Mind prep. Eating healthy isn't a diet, it is not a fad, it is a LIFESTYLE. It is a lifestyle I have chose for myself that makes me feel amazing. You have to WANT to make a change in your life for the better. Pre decide that this is something you are going to do for YOU.

Step 2- Commitment. Anything worthwhile takes long lasting commitment. Don't just say you are going to do this, actually commit. Commit to not only doing this for you, but to better your children or your  future children and those around you.

Step 3- Create a schedule. I literally write down in my planner, when I am going to eat, and what I am going to eat. May sound crazy, but it works. Pre planning meals is one of the best ways to eat healthy.

Step 5- Take action. Don't talk about it, BE about it.



Why diets do not work

Yes I said it... Mark my words, DIETS DO NOT WORK. They absolutely without a doubt DO NOT WORK.

1. Most diets are unhealthy, and extreme. I hear people say they are on a no carb diet and I want to laugh. Your body runs on carbs for fuel. You NEED them. You also NEED fat. In fact eating fats keeps you skinny. I am referring to good fats of course.

2. Diets mess with the mind. Restricting yourself from certain foods only causes you do over indulge at one point or another, resulting in gaining the same weight back.

3. Diets cause you to feel tired and dehydrated. If your body isn't getting proper nutrition especially those carbs that I mentioned, it will have nothing to burn to keep itself going, resulting in feeling tired and run down. Also, Most weight lost during a fad diet is mainly water weight.


My top 10 tips for getting fit and healthy

1. Eat A LOT! Yes, you read that right. Eating often is the best way to keep your metabolism going. Now that doesn't mean eat big portions of horrible food every hour. What I do is eat small portions every three hours. In a day I typically have 3 meals and 2 snacks and by snack I mean a healthy snack, not a chocolate chip cookie.

2. Drink a lot of water. Click here to see my post on how water keeps you healthy AND skinny.

3. Drink tea. I started out drinking green tea. Drinking 5 or more cups of green tea per day speeds up your metabolism. I now drink a combination of some great weight loss teas. I am not revealing those teas just yet. They are so important to be that I will be dedicating a blog just to my tea. To start off though, green tea is great!

4. Work out in the morning. I love working out in the morning, to me it just makes sense. When your heart rate reaches a certain point, you could actually burn fat all day.

5. Eat a green with every meal. I even eat veggies with breakfast! The daily recommended amount for vegetable intake is 2 and 1/2 cups per day. I get very technical and I even measure out my vegetables in a measuring cup, that's how important it is to me.

6. Start cooking home cooked meals. After I moved out of my moms house I gained 20 pounds, I also didn't know how to cook. I was either eating out or eating horrible microwavable foods. EW I am so ashamed to even say that! After learning how to cook and doing everything I've talked about in this post, I am now doing to 107 pounds.

7. Keep statistics. Lose it! Is a great app that helped me get fit. It allows you to set a goal weight, it gives you a calorie budget per day, and also allows you to scan foods you eat.

8. Take a multivitamin daily.

9. Always have a small snack with out for if you are to get hungry on the go. The worst thing you can do is stop at a fast food restaurant, instead always have a healthy snack on hand. My choice is either brown rice crackers, or an Ensure.

10. Educate yourself. Reading this post is the first step, congrats! I started to educate myself on health and fitness by watching Doctor Oz, and doing online research. Check out my Pinterest as well for health and fitness tips. http://pinterest.com/leaannpiccoli/

Getting on a healthy eating schedule is a long term commitment, not a one time thing. You will notice a big difference in the way you look and feel after choosing to do this. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions! xoxox

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...