Ads 468x60px

Friday, January 18, 2013

My 'Super food' Minestrone

I LOVE cooking with fresh herbs and spices because they are packed with health benefits. Yesterday my boyfriend wasn't feeling well so I decided to make a 'super food' version of Minestrone for dinner last night. It included my favorite super foods- garlic, onion, turmeric, and parsley!


It was SO delicious and beyond healthy so I figured I'd share :)

Ingredients:

I chose to use all organic ingredients, as I do for everything. Going organic is a personal preference, and something you have to decide on for yourself. I do highly suggest going all organic and here's why.
Oh and with all organic ingredients this soup only cost less than $20 to make and it will last for a few days. Of course I did have some ingredients on hand, but I'm sure you will too!

1 cup chopped carrots
4 celery stalks chopped
1 medium onion finely minced
4 garlic cloves finely minced
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
(fresh would obviously be better but I am a little weary of tomatoes right now because at this point most are GMO, so I opted for Organic canned. I hardly buy canned products but it was a battle between GMO tomatoes or the junk inside cans. This time I ended up with organic canned.)
String beans
Spinach
Macaroni
32 oz. chicken broth
Kidney Beans
Fresh Parsley
Oregano
Turmeric
Thyme
1 bay leaf
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Some ingredients do not have measurements next to them because I just add what I feel it right but I will try and describe how much I use as best as I can.

So here we go!

Start cooking beans as directed

1. Chop up carrots and celery
2. Mince garlic and onions
3. Cut string beans in half
4. Mince about two tablespoons worth of fresh Thyme

Start cooking your macaroni

5. Add these ingredients into a sauce pan with olive oil and cover on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until veggies are soft.
6. Add chicken broth
7. Add bay leaf
8. Add spinach and stir until it wilts
9. Add tomatoes, oregano, fresh parsley, turmeric, salt and pepper.
10. Add beans and macaroni

Best way I can describe how much oregano to use is just to lightly coat the whole sauce pan, stir in enough turmeric to change the color slightly. I only put in a tiny bit of salt and pepper. Turmeric has a bit of a spicy taste to it so not much pepper is needed. As far as the fresh parsley goes I just put a bunch! The more the merrier hehe.


I hope you enjoy! xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...